Sunday, August 28, 2005

Business managed by a visually impaired family

Who says that blindness makes one handicap and dependent on others. A visually impaired family here has proved that blindness is no hindrance to success as it runs its business successfully. Two blind brothers run their grocery shops while their blind sister is working in a government school as a teacher. Where many blind people have shrugged off their life in the dark, Dharam Chand is leading a respectable life by running his own grocery shop.

“I do not face any major problem in running my shop. I am running my shop for the past 40 years. Earlier, I owned a granary shop and then switched over to a grocery shop. Now, I have also added a small counter of auto parts. Till date, I haven’t received any help from the government,” said Dharam Chand Jain, a physically challenged person. He added, “I make out the difference between Indian currency notes by their sizes.”

At a small distance from Dharam Chand’s shop, there is another grocery shop of Rajendra Jain, his brother. “I am blind since childhood still I run a grocery shop and feed my family. I do all the purchasing by myself, sell the products and run my shop smoothly. Till date I haven’t received any any help from the government,” said Rajendra Jain. While describing the shop, customers said they have never been supplied with wrong orders. “For the past 10-15 years, I had been purchasing things from his shop. I haven’t faced any problem so far. We get what we order. Not only me but other locality people also purchase things from him,” said Dinesh, a customer.

Nirmala, Dharam Chand and Rajendra’s sister, who is also visually challenged, completed her graduation, B.E.D and got an employment as a teacher in a government school. “I suffered blindness when I was 14-15 years old but I never bothered my parents. For the past five years, I am working as a teacher in a school. I do not even face any problem in carrying out my household work. I feel, despite blindness when I can execute all my activities, other blind people can also do the same,” said Nirmala Jain.

These physically challenged people have set an example for other visually challenged that they can also lead their lives with respect without depending on others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home