Sunday, November 20, 2005

Weaving now can be enjoyed by the visually impaired

Weaving it is not a common activity but it is at Chicago's Friedman Place -- even though the weavers can not see the beauty of their work. Vision is not a requirement for weaving but it does call for patience and willingness to do the same thing over and over.
Korah Erbacher is the weaving instructor at Friedman Place.
"I also teach sighted weavers on an individual basis, you know, I take private students but as a group I only do what I'm doing here," said Korah.

All of the residents are blind or visually impaired.
"I take their hands and I show them with their hands and I talk to them. If they have limited hearing, I also give them Braille notes to help them understand better. Not all of the weavers read Braille, but, so far, the hearing impaired weavers I've had read Braille so that helped," said Korah.

The weaving program started in 1998 at Kagan Home for the blind. In February, they moved to the new facility. Teaching people without sight to weave is different.

"It is just a matter of introducing them to what they're doing and convincing them that they can do it. Some of them don't believe it is possible and it is," said Korah.

They do amazing work.

"The people who have been blind from birth have never seen color and yet they really want to know what color they're working with," said Korah.

Jim Fordyce has been weaving since the program started.

"Today I'm doing what they call overshot pot holders," said Jim.

"I come as long as I want except when there is a day of exercise," said Jim.

Next Sunday Friedman Place is having their annual holiday sale.

"We've got some baby blankets, we've got pillows, we've got tote bags, we make hand towels and shawls and scarves, table runners, place mats," said Korah.

Prices range from $5 to $90. Proceeds from the sale go to support the weaving program.
"I find the ones that do it best. They get into a zone, they get going. They get their rhythm and they just weave and I just have to keep an eye on them. I don't really have to intervene much," said Korah.

Friedman Place's holiday sale is Sunday, December 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. They are located at 5527 North Maplewood in Chicago. The telephone number is 773/989-9800.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home