Thursday, December 15, 2005

From photos to tactile displays

The visually impaired are now able to enjoy the "Earth from Above" photographs on display along Orchard Road. The photos have been converted into tactile displays with captions in Braille, in a first ever exhibition called "Touch and See", organised solely for the blind. French photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand wanted to share his vision with all people, including the visually impaired, and eyewear designer Alain Mikli helped make it happen.

Mr Mikli said, "I like to share with everybody especially with blind people...because always we forget them...they cannot see really all the pictures, but at least they have a sensation, at least they have a feeling, at least we can communicate with them, and that to me, that's the most important thing." Visually impaired artist Victor Tan said, "There are two ways I felt I experienced the work. First just by touching the tactile image itself I feel is a piece of art, the feeling, the tactile, the flow, the movement, the line, the strokes, I think it's a masterpiece.

Followed by the descriptions that were given to me, I started to realise and identify what those signs and symbols represent in the image that was taken by the photographer." The exhibition is open 24 hours daily till January 17.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home