Sunday, August 13, 2006

What does work really means to the visually impaired?

Volunteering my time at Melanie Massey Physical Therapy Inc. went a long way toward giving me a sense of fulfillment, so when they offered me a job, I couldn’t have been more excited. You see, due to my visual impairment, it had been more than two years since earning my last paycheck. Now, since my coworkers and I have adjusted well to my employment, I am using my experiences to increase understanding related to visual impairments at work.

The first thing that everyone at work should understand is that to the visually impaired, a job is much more than a means to a paycheck. In my case, I stopped being a bricklayer when I lost my vision, and since I no longer associated with bricklaying co-workers, I felt an emptiness that could only be filled with other adult relationships. These relationships are important because they helped give me a sense of connection with the world outside my home.

The next thing that should be mentioned here is new co-workers and employers alike will have questions. If you’re visually impaired, how can they know what to expect from you if they don’t ask you any questions? The answer is, they can’t. So expect and encourage questions.

That said, I found truthful answers go a long way toward building good working relationships, and I’ve answered questions regarding things like; how much I can see, why I became impaired, if I can do specific things, and if there are things that can be done for me that will make my life easier. The information gained by asking these types of questions is very important, so I encourage sighted co-workers and employers to ask away.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some co-workers and even supervisors may feel apprehensive about asking questions. If you are visually impaired, therefore, it’s imperative that you educate those around you about your condition by tactfully verbalizing problems you may encounter, and (as noted above) encourage questions.

I must mention here that my co-workers have been very helpful and sensitive to my plight by going out of their way to help me. For example, I have to clock in and out, and early in my employment I always had to get someone to do it for me. This went on for a couple of months until the secretary started marking my card in a way that allowed me to punch it myself.

Another small issue that my co-workers assist me with is related to inter office/clinic communications that are sometimes executed via posted memorandum. Instead of missing out on what is said, I simply inquire with a co-worker.

As noted, I am legally blind, so I have a talking watch that is both a blessing and a curse. As a blessing, it has entertained many children, and its voice has been used as a reward numerous times to coax additional exercises from them.

As a curse, I find myself loudly checking the time more and more frequently as either lunch or 5 pm approaches. This in its self isn’t a problem;. The problem arises when I find myself repeatedly checking the time while unknowingly standing near my boss.

As an employee, I’ve been surprised by how well clients have accepted me. For the most part, they aren’t concerned that I am legally blind, but the children are mildly interested in who I am always talking to when I address them. It’s unnerving for me to notice confused expressions on their faces when they look behind them to see who I am talking too and there is no one there.

The reason for this is I see them best, using my peripheral vision, when looking over their left shoulder, and although I often forget I am doing this, the children I work with don’t let me forget for very long.

Another issue the impaired will deal with is correctly identifying surrounding people. One way I identify people around me is by using body shapes. Since I found this to be somewhat inaccurate, I also identify people by their voices. Let me tell you, if there is one voice a blind employee should recognize, it’s the bosses! One afternoon, I heard a voice calling me from across the room, so I asked, “Who is that?” She said slyly, “You better know who this is!” I immediately understood, and recognized.

As I hope you have noticed, I do not allow my visual condition to create tension at work. This tension is created when visually impaired people are overly sensitive about their condition and without thinking, get angry and snap at unsuspecting co-workers.

That said, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve caught co-workers saying something like, “Look at that ‘whatever’ in the parking lot.” Angry knee-jerk reactions to innocent comments like this will only serve to alienate the offended employee. So if you are visually impaired, keep the workplace from becoming tension filled by allowing such unintentional verbal blunders.

It should be noted that everything that can occur at home related to blindness can also occur in the work place. Problems like not being able to find things, losing things in plain sight, knocking over unseen objects, and tripping over movable obstacles should be expected and tolerated.

Because accidents such as these can occur visually impaired people will need time and help becoming familiar with the workplace layout, but will require less and less assistance as time progresses.

Employers, co-workers, as well as the impaired employees, should expect issues such as those noted above to arise. When they do, it’s comforting to realize how trivial they are, so they can be resolved without incident.

Unfortunately, there are some issues that aren’t as easily overcome. In my case, for example, public transportation to and from work is not as dependable or as flexible as I’d like it to be. Therefore, my employer has made allowances in this area which has helped me feel more secure in my employment.

Finally, let me assure all of you at work, when it comes to the things that the visually impaired can do, nine times out of ten the saying, “Where there’s a will there is a way” applies. So don’t be alarmed if you find yourself at work, face to face with someone holding an orange and white cane, and try not to worry if this person is you, because I have discovered that the visually impaired can perform successfully as a creative, productive and valued member of a team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home