Sunday, August 27, 2006

Visually impaired man asked for help...in vain!

I'm blind in one eye and legally blind in the other. I've asked the mayor and street department to trim the low trees by my house for the past year. They could put my good eye out. My leader dog is still in training and sometimes doesn't take me around them.

I'm on a fixed income. I've got to feed my dog. I had to buy a house so I could get him. I asked welfare to help. Been turned down twice. I went to Vocational Rehabilitation for a part-time job to make ends meet. No luck. I've applied for part-time work, but no luck. They tell you they're interested, but they just lie.

I called the inspectors about a rental house next door that needs a lot of work, but nothing happened. If it was me, the city would fine me. The city spends the taxpayers' money, but can't help us. They raise taxes and want to add $6 to our water bill. I feel like I need to get a tin cup to go out and get help.


I didn't ask for my sight problem. To me, this town doesn't help the handicapped. After my house payments, utilities and food, I'm lucky to have anything. I never asked for help before. I worked since I was 12 and paid taxes and was in the Navy. I've been trying to get a GED but it's hard. You need to ask paratransit for a ride 2-3 weeks ahead. I try taking the bus but miss it, so I have to use a prepaid taxi card -- not cheap on a fixed income.

Work in Richmond stinks. We've got too many malls and restaurants. Not much factory work. Too many temp services too. You're lucky to make $5 in any job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home